Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome: You Could Be Fined Up To £400,000 For Ignoring The Risks
Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome: You could be fined £400,000 for ignoring the risks
Two companies have recently been issues with large fines over failing to meet the responsibilities and requirements to protect their employees from HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome).
Despite the Control of Vibration at work regulation being in force since the 6th July 2005, two-thirds of Stone Masonry RIDDOR reports directly related to this condition, forcing HSE to take action and address the issue of companies within the stone industry falling short of their responsibilities.
What is Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome?
Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome is a painful and disabling disorder caused by vibration injuries. These injuries are either Neurological, Vascular or Musculoskeletal and can involve the blood vessels, nerves and joints.
A neurological injury can result in a high level of disability, seriously reducing the hand function causing the sufferer to struggle with everyday tasks. Vascular injuries affect the blood vessels in the hands and fingers which can trigger episodes of whitening and spasm, usually brought on by the cold. Musculoskeletal injuries can result in impaired grip strength, reduced mobility and pain in the arm and hand area.
HAVS can affect all stone fabricators who are using power tools, particularly using them incorrectly, unless they take significant action to reduce the vibration risk. This condition is totally preventable however once the damage is done, it is unfortunately permanent.
What are your legal responsibilities when it comes to HAVS?
As an employer, you are directly responsible for ensuring you take suitable assessments and health surveillance of your employees and take action to reduce the risk of developing this syndrome. Failure to do this could leave you liable to large fines and put your workforce at risk.
An employer of any workforce within the stone industry that is using power tools should take immediate action to address these crucial points:
- Assess the vibration risk.
- Take action to reduce the risk.
- Make sure the legal limit on vibration exposure is not exceeded.
- Provide information and training to employees on the health risks, early signs to look out for and the measures you have put in place to protect them.
- Carry out regular health checks on at-risk employees.
- Consult company safety representative on proposals.
- Keep up to date records of your assessments, actions and health checks.
- Review and update regularly.
For more information on HAVS, and your legal responsibilities, please visit the HSE: http://www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/hav/regulations.htm
Stonegate Precision Tooling, the UK's most trusted supplier...
Here at Stonegate Precision Tooling, we've had the privilege of working with stone fabricators across both the UK and worldwide in providing them with the most innovative tooling and consumables for stone. Our work with stone fabricators has given us the first-hand expertise our customers need when choosing a key supplier to provide them with the essentials to keep them in business.
Through aiming for 100% customer satisfaction we exceed in honesty, loyalty and integrity whilst ensuring that our high-quality, performance products are available whenever our customers need them - 98% of our customers receive their orders on the next day; on time, in full. We work hard with all our customers to provide a service that ensures our customers experience value in all that we do and it's this commitment that has enabled Stonegate to become the UK's most trusted provider of specialist products and knowledge to stone fabricators.
Further reading on the Stonegate Tooling Blog:
- REACH Regulations - What You Need To Know: Better understand the new REACH Regulations and what your responsibilities when it comes to compliance are!
- Safely Moving Stone In Your Workshop: Learn how to better lift and handle stone to avoid the risk of injury to your team.
- Understanding The Dangers Of Stone Dust: Silica dust is an everyday risk for stone fabricators but its dangers simply can't be underestimated, read more from Stonegate.
- Stonegate, The UK's Most Trusted Provider Of Specialist Tooling To Stone Fabricators: Discover how Stonegate supports your business with our commitment to being the very best.
- How Our Next-Day Stone Tools Stock Keeps You In Business: Read how our unbeatable supply is essential to keep your business running and what we do to constantly ensure you have the products you need.
- Stonegate, The Exclusive Worldwide Distributor For Status Diamond Tooling!: We're thrilled to provide the world's most innovative CNC tools from leading brand, Status Diamond Tooling.
- Stone Slab Protection Film: Exploring SlabWrap©: Explore more from our range of stone slab protection products to make your business more efficient and profitable.